Motorola Triumph Forum

Support Best Buy Black Tie Protection Plan?

Does anyone have experience with Best Buy's Black Tie plan? It's $40 for the Triumph and I am wondering if it is worthwhile. It doesn't seem to cover accidental damage, and I wonder how picky they are with phones and whether they try to repair them (would not want them trying to repair my phone, would just want a replacement).

Thoughts?

Related:

#1 quikky, Aug 1, 2011
I paid for it. The sales guy stated it covers things like crackd screens etc. Pretty much everything except losing the phone - or so Iwas told. ;)

#2 magohn, Aug 1, 2011
I bought the protection plan. Me and Motorola have not gotten along very well. Bad experience. :p LOL

Ken

#3 KensterVF, Aug 1, 2011
It's a replacement plan, they won't send it in for service if you have any issues with it as they told me prepaids don't get repaired but replaced. It will be replaced on the spot if it's in stock, if it's discontinued they will give you a similar model. First year has unlimited replacements, second year you get one replacement and the contract is considered fulfilled. You will have an option to repurchase the plan again for another 2 years.

It covers accidental breakage like reasonable drops that might crack the screen but if you say you drop it off a deck then they would consider that unreasonable. Water damage does not include full submersion. If you get rid of the phone before the 2 year warranty up, they will prorate the difference. No one knew how they prorated it but they made it seem it wouldn't be that much coming back.

I think it's pretty reasonable considering the issues I've had with it already and it's a nice safety net in case something goes wrong within the first year and not wanting to wait for motorola or VM to send me a new one while I'm out of a phone.

#4 bludd, Aug 1, 2011
I had it for my intercept. Keyboard was cracking so I took it in and they gave me a store credit for the retail plus tax of the phone. Come to like 184. I used that towards the purchase of the triumph. I got it again for This phone cause with the $50 gift card it ended up being free. I would recommend it to everyone

#5 harvickchick, Aug 1, 2011
Awesome! Glad there was no hassle. :)

Ken

#6 KensterVF, Aug 1, 2011

This is also great when their is a pricedrop on your PRP item.
When you take it in for a replacement they give you original price +tax in store credit and then you can buy anything in the store.. Or the same item which now has a lower price due to price drop.

#7 joeblackis, Aug 1, 2011
I was glad too, Ken!! Just the way things go I was expecting it to be a big deal haha.

#8 harvickchick, Aug 1, 2011
I bought my MT through the pre-order on BB online site. When the phone came in I went to BB with my invoice and was able to get this plan after reading on this forum about what it really does. New gadgets always have bugs that need to be worked out, so when one raises it ugly head I can just return it and get a new phone from BB.

#9 JohnACman, Aug 1, 2011
I went to Best Buy for them to prorate the remaining 15 months of insurance for my Intercept and they said it's not for prepaid phone protection plans. I don't see the point though because contract phones pay for insurance monthly, no?

#10 hellopwntchu, Aug 2, 2011
Interesting, thanks for the info.

#11 bludd, Aug 2, 2011
So I got the BB two year plan, is there any reason to keep the VM insurance on top of it? The BB plan covers pretty much everything, right?

#12 Spaco, Aug 2, 2011
There is no reason to waste your money keeping the VM insurance--unless you like giving money to VM. But that's me.

#13 mantera, Aug 2, 2011
VM covers theft/loss while BB does not?

#14 bludd, Aug 3, 2011
I got curious to see which was the better deal so after a little research, here's a very quick comparison:

Cost:
BBY: approx $40/2 yr (of course the term could end up being shorter if you end up replacing the phone under the plan and it is fulfilled)
VM: $5/mo = $120 / 2yr

How to claim:
BBY: Go to a store and get a replacement on the spot. No deductible. May have to purchase a new plan for $40 if the old plan is fulfilled.
VM: Uses Asurion for their phone insurance. According to the documentation on the Asurion website at
Welcome Virgin Mobile USA Customers

Fill out a claim form online and submit it. If it is approved, they will send you a replacement phone. THERE IS A DEDUCTIBLE of $100. They also say that the replacement phone may be shipped out overnight depening on when you submit the claim and when it gets approved for replacement.

Phone is damaged/malfunctioning:
coverage seems about the same between the two.

Phone is lost or stolen:
BBY has a "Locked and found" app/service that you get with your GSBTP-R plan according to what Stroltz35 wrote in the previous thread here:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/385839-best-buy-protection-plan.html#post3018323

VM apparently replaces the phone when it's lost/stolen with the $100 deductible.

So up to you which you think is better for you.

#15 mantera, Aug 3, 2011
Hey Guys, new here. I went out to BestBuy yesterday here in Illinois (Near Chicago) and picked up the Triumph. I asked the associate there what protection plans they had to offer and if they had one that covered me dropping the phone. He checked the system and the only one that came up he said was either $24.99 or $29.99 (Don't remember) and covered energy surge, dust, manufacture defect but didn't cover accidental damage and that the ADH protection plan was discontinued for some reason.

I double checked with the cashier since she thought the plan did cover dropping but she checked some pamphlet and confirmed that it wasn't covered so I don't know if it's just not available in my area or what.

Just a word for the weary! Nice to meet you all!

~Novak

#16 novak921, Aug 4, 2011
yea i went to my local bestbuy and asked the mobile employee, he said the plan doesnt cover accidental damage like crack screens, only technical issues like malfunctioning software

#17 aceinmyspace, Aug 5, 2011
That's odd, what happened to the $39.99 2 year black tie replacement plan? I just got that last week at a mobile store where they claimed it covered accidental drops. These stores are so inconsistent and have no documentation as they just say it's in the system! wtf?!

#18 bludd, Aug 5, 2011
+1 $40 and it covers everything except loss. Or so I was told.

#19 magohn, Aug 5, 2011
i understand if you use american express, they match the warranty. never actually made a claim with them before, so don't know how it works. can't beat free though if it does work

#20 ziddey, Aug 5, 2011
So i just tried to return a triumph with a small crack in the screen and was told that cracked screens are not covered in the black tie protection plan. DOes anyone know if this is true? If it is what should I do?

#21 stroltz35, Sep 12, 2011
I got this from the terms & conditions on the geeksquad website:

This Plan also provides for Accidental Damage
from Handling (ADH) coverage set forth in Section
E for Smartphones, Personal Digital Assistants

and Subscription Based Mobile Phones.

E. Accidental Damage from Handling Coverage
(ADH).
• ADH Coverage is only available for the following
products: Laptops, Netbooks, eReaders, Tablets, Digital
Cameras, Digital Camcorders, Flashes, Lenses,
MP3 players, Hand-Held GPS & Gaming devices,
Smartphones, Personal Digital Assistants, Subscription
Based Mobile Phones, Musical Instruments and

Portable DVD Players.

Note: I didn't read the whole thing, but I'd raise some hell personally. Cracked screen sounds like accidental damage to me.

#22 GTWolf, Sep 12, 2011
I agree with GTWolf. I've seen people with screens all cracked up go into BB and they get replaced without a problem. Whoever you talked too doesn't seem to know what's going on.

Although, you'll probably be told that your plan is "fulfilled" and have to buy a new plan on the replacement.

#23 mantera, Sep 12, 2011
Ive actually chatted online with 3 different people on best buys chat customer service and got 3 completely diff answers.
Kathryn: Thank you for that, how can I help you today ?
Customer: I was wondering about your black tie protection plan.
Kathryn: At Best Buy we offer Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. This covers normal wear and tear, accidental damage, power surge protection, and one time battery replacement. It also covers the accessories that come WITH the phone in the box. It does not cover loss, theft, or water (liquid) submersion. But when you need the phone serviced, you don't have to worry about a deductible! The rates run from 9.99 to 14.99 per month.

If you have a device that has been subject to one of the covered actions, then take it to your local Best Buy store and they can begin the service on the phone. If you do not have a phone to use in the mean time, the store offer loaner phones for you to be able to use
Customer: I wanted to buy a motorola triumph and wanted to know what it covers
Customer: hello?
Kathryn: At Best Buy we offer Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. This covers normal wear and tear, accidental damage, power surge protection, and one time battery replacement. It also covers the accessories that come WITH the phone in the box. It does not cover loss, theft, or water (liquid) submersion. But when you need the phone serviced, you don't have to worry about a deductible! The rates run from 9.99 to 14.99 per month.

If you have a device that has been subject to one of the covered actions, then take it to your local Best Buy store and they can begin the service on the phone. If you do not have a phone to use in the mean time, the store offer loaner phones for you to be able to use
Customer: I went to best buy store and they offered me the 39.99 black tie protection for the device. but when I asked them what it covered they did not know since it was a prepaid device and not a monthly charge phone
Kathryn: It covers the same as the normal Black Tie Protection
Customer: so if a drop it and a small crakc on the screen appears it is covered? or something like that?
Kathryn: Correct.
Customer: if something like that occurs do i have to buy the plan again to get the protection back?
Kathryn: No, it would convert to your mew phone.
Customer: thank you so much for your time. I just wanted to be sure of this before I bought it
Kathryn: Well thank you so much for spending time with us today. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-BESTBUY or to check us out on the website! You have a wonderful day and thanks again!

Kimberly: Thank you, How can I help you today?
Customer: I was interested in purchasing a motorola Triumph with your black tie protection. I went to a local store and this morning and I asked what all the black tie protection covered with the phone and the emplee there told me to get online and look becasue it was a prepaid phone and not a monthly phone
Customer: she did not know what it included
Kimberly: I am sorry about that, I am going to send you information to read.
Kimberly: One thing I would recommend is our Geek Squad Black-Tie Protection. It is a monthly cost, usually $9.99 a month deducted from your credit card account, that covers everything except full water submersion and it being lost or stolen. That means even if you break the phone we will fix it or replace it for free with no deductible. This can only be added in store up to 30 days after the phones purchase from Best Buy. Even if you were to have gotten a free phone when you signed your contract, it will cost you almost $300 to replace. So keep that in mind when you decide to get a new phone.
Customer: but instead of the 9.99 a month it is just a one time charge of 39.99 right? because that is what the emplee rang up
Kimberly: Yes that is correct.
Customer: ok so if im talking on the phone and drop it and a little crack occurs it is covered in the plan?
Kimberly: yes that is correct, you can run the phone over by accident with your car and it is covered.
Customer: hahaha i hope noone has done that.
Customer: but one last question
Kimberly: It happens alot
Customer: if something happens and i take the phone back do i have to purchase a new plan or am i still proctected for the 2 years i paid for?
Kimberly: You would have to get a new plan for the new phone, sometimes they will do a refund for the old plan at a prorated cost.
Customer: because i thought i read somewhere that the 1st year on the plan i can take the phone back unlimited amount of times but on the second year the phone can only be replaced once before the contract is finished.
Kimberly: You can take the phone in as many times as you would like to be fixed but not for a return or exchange and that is for the full two years.
Customer: well the best buy employee told me they do not repair the prepaid phones. I got one 6 months ago from best buy and I could not get it repaired.
Customer: without the protection plan
Kimberly: we do repair them.
Customer: ok so if i just wanted it repaired i would not have to purchase a new plan? and what do you mean sometimes we will do a refund on the old plan
Kimberly: You do not have to purchase a new plan with the repairs, you keep the same plan. You only get a new plan when you buy a new phone. we only refund the old plan if returned in 30 days and you have to get a new phone.
Customer: ok thank you for all the help. is there any where i can download or look at the documentation on the black tie protection and what all it entitles? just so I can read over all the details. I can seem to find it online and the best buy here said they had only a small pamplet no offical documents
Kimberly: You would have to look at geeksquad.com, it should be there.
Customer: ok ill do that. thank you for your time

3. The guy said it was not covered by ADH at all. I asked for documentation and never got a response back.

#24 stroltz35, Sep 12, 2011
If it doesn't cover accidents, I think it's only worth it if you plan to use your phone for considerably longer than a year. Virgin Mobile seems to be pretty good about the factory warranty. They are sending me a replacement under factory warranty as I type.

#25 Shinypants, Sep 13, 2011